Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fit To Be Shot?

Three weeks, three dates and about 200 emails later, Raleigh has given me my marching orders. She's too busy with audition prep for anything serious and I came on way too strong. I feel like Barbaro, not a quarter mile outta the box and -snap!- broken ankle. A rather dubious debut back into the dating world some years after the big “D” but I shan't mourn long.

Even though Raleigh was scary close to my dream woman -she's absolutely gorgeous, wicked smart (likes to read books on, and ponder, quantum mechanics), hilarious (“You live in Zwingle? That sounds like a Swedish potato chip!”), and completely driven when it comes to her music- apparently an essential quality must also be that she miss me when she's away! Failing that test, I got the boot. Seriously, I think it was just a combination of bad timing and the result of her being the unfortunate focus of my years of pent up romantic tendencies. It all came a'gushin out like the Love Canal had breached its levee! Hurricane Heartthrob made landfall on the coast of North Carolina! Typhoon Swoon wooed the waters of... aah, I got nothin'.

In other news along the same depressing line, I didn't win the summer gig for which I was hoping. Another musically unemployed summer is a desolate thought. Although I've managed to sock away loads in savings. Probably enough to last two summers. Still, I'll try to get some paying chamber music off the ground to alleviate the draw on funds.

On the up side, I had the great pleasure to play with RA (formerly of the Cologne Symphony) in the LSO last week. He's newly relocated from Germany to Wisconsin. A wonderful horn player with decades of pro experience and a modest, decent guy to boot he said he's suffering big time from orchestra withdrawal. It was nice of him to slum with us for a set.

It was my last set of the season as co-principal with this orchestra and I felt pretty good about it despite some inexcusable fracks in Debussy's, Trois Nocturnes. I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gotten the “let's just be friends” call the day of the Friday show. Oh, the spices of life. So it goes...

1 comment:

RG said...

If it's a small consolation, I didn't get that summer gig either. But the person who did is a great player who also needed a summer gig, so I don't feel too bad about it.