Sunday, January 21, 2007

It's Hammer Time!



We're doing Mahler Six in DM this weekend. It isn't one of my favorite Mahler symphonies but I think it is growing on me. At 80-90 minutes I'm sure it is a test for the audience. Though it calls for eight horns we're covering the 7th and 8th parts among six of us. Every group tries to save a buck somehow!

Here's a shot of the hammer specially made for this piece which requires three loud hammer blows in the final movement. It will be given to our board president after today's performance. He's not a musician but he loves this symphony and has been prowling around during rehearsals taking pictures and looking generally giddy.

I'll be happy to get done with this set although it has been a blast. It is just very demanding to focus for that long on such a schizophrenic work. When it is all over you feel a bit depressed rather than elated. That elation will come in spades when we do Malher 1 in CR next month.

We also got a nice covering of snow from a storm last night. It made my long run this morning rather tough and slow. But at least I was out there... as were the usual farm dogs giving chase. I could out run them because of the snow this time. With clear roads, they might have had me!

No comments: